i blog. sort of.

i blog. sort of.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

accosted by a geriatric . . . .

 [picture a red-faced, white-haired, colonel-saunders kind of old guy here]

Today I was in a copy shop, minding my own business, when a rather old man came in and started making color copies on the machine next to mine.  He was giggling.  [Weird.  I know.]  Finally I guess he couldn't stand it anymore; he wandered over to where I was working to show me what he was copying.  Super offensive, and very racist.

I said, um, that is offensive, sir.

He got all red in the face and sort of yelled, so you're a communist.

I had no idea how to take this outburst, but I knew one thing for sure.  I wasn't about to get into it with a nine-hundred-year-old-guy who's idea of funny was formed in 1930s Mississippi.  So I said, I am not a communist, and left.

When I got home and told my husband all about this bizarre encounter he said, do you think the guy is still there?

I said, what, you're going to go battle it out with a geriatric playing with an incomplete deck?

He said, you're right, but you should have put him in his place.

Frankly, I don't see it as my job to put people in their place.  If I did, I'd be the old-faithful of reprimand-spouting.  But I'm still thinking on the situation.  What IS the right thing to do when someone confronts you with their craziness???

Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment