i blog. sort of.

i blog. sort of.

Monday, October 20, 2014

favorite headstone quotes II

Jackson cemetery, Wyoming

"She went a mile north, and turned right" is another of my favorite headstone quotes.  I have no idea what it means, but I don't care.  I love it.  Whenever I think of it I find myself dwelling on all the possible explanations for why such a seemingly random statement ended up as the message this woman (or her family, I suppose) chose to leave to the world. 

But I'll make a small confession here and state that the primary reason behind why I love this quote is that it reminds me of one of the many 'inside jokes' my husband and I have created over the years.  The one I'm thinking of is 'heading south,' which is something we often say when we forget things--like when either one of us walks into a room and then can't remember why we're there.

So someday, when I'm long gone, should you wander across whatever mark my daughter chose to leave the world to know me by, don't be surprised if under my name she's had carved:  "She headed south and decided to stay."

No comments:

Post a Comment