i blog. sort of.

i blog. sort of.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

WOD [word of the day]: maniacal

I didn't laugh maniacally when I read this, but I sort of wanted to . . .

I googled 'maniacal' and was given this curious definition by Dictionary.com:  Not being able to hear the authors laughing maniacally to themselves as they type.

Ummm.  So, I was always taught that you shouldn't use the word to define the word ....

For the record I have not, as of yet, laughed maniacally when I'm typing.  Smiled, yes.  Chuckled, often.  Snorted out loud, on occasion.  Yeah, I know there's that scene in  Something's Gotta Give where Diane Keaton laughs until she cries while she types out her revenge on Jack Nicholson.  But in my experience I haven't gone down that road.  At least, not yet.

 To be frank here, I associate maniacal laughter with insane loony-ness--the same sort of loony-ness I witnessed from a certain sardine while watching the sardine treadmill in the Monterey Bay Aquarium, now that I think of it.  For sure that sardine was laughing maniacally.  Proof positive that being forced to swim round and round and round and round against an artificial current in a giant acrylic tube is NOT a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment